More than 100 years ago, a small group of Christian Science students formed a Christian Science Society here in Summit. By 1907 this Society had grown in members to become a full-fledged Christian Science Church.
In 1918 the church was able to purchase a property at 292 Springfield in Summit, turn the house there into a church meeting place, and move it to the rear of the property which was quite deep, with enough space in front for building the present church edifice.
The corner stone was laid on August 3, 1933, and on Thanksgiving Day, 1936 the first service was joyously held in the new auditorium.
The Sunday School, formerly housed in the church building, was added as an adjacent building in April 1951.
In October 1943 the Christian Science Reading Room found a new home at 340 Springfield Avenue, where it continues to serve the Summit area community today, providing a library for study and prayer, as well as serving as a sales room for all Christian Science literature, Bibles and Bible concordances, CDs, and the Christian Science Monitor.